Thank you for your interest in auditioning for Leawood Stage Company.
Here are a few things you will need to know.
The creative teams that will be at the auditions:
Director: Dr. Chris McCoy
Director: Eric Van Horn
Music Director: Tim Braselton
Choreographer: Kristin Seefeldt
Stage Manager: Katie Blinn
Bernardo Male Baritone - Leader of the Sharks, brother of Maria
Anita Female Mezzo-Soprano – Bernardo’s girlfriend, Maria’s friend and confidant
Tony Male Tenor – Former Leader of the Jets
Maria Female Soprano - Newly arrived from Puerto Rico
Riff Male Tenor – Leader of the Jets
Chino Male Spoken – Bernardo’s friend
Action Male Baritone - Jet
Detective Schrank Adult Male Spoken – Sympathetic to the Jets
Doc Adult Male Spoken – Confidant to Tony
Officer Krupke Adult Male Spoken
Glad Hand Adult Male Spoken
Featured Jets Males
Featured Jets Girls
Featured Shark Males
Featured Shark Girls
Director: Annette Cook
Music Director: Leyann Losh
KING - Chocolate Labrador Retriever, Older, wiser, been around, seen-it-all but still full of life; a leader, a calming source; James Earl Jones.
CHANEL - Apricot-colored French poodle , Bison Frise or Afghan Hound; Diva, a former show dog with an attitude; beautiful, refined, elegant, graceful, high maintenance. She is Grace Kelly, Paris Hilton and Cher combined.
SAM - He is a grey pit bull mutt mulatto. Hot, sexy, handsome, street tough and macho to hide his insecurities. He is John Stamos and Ricky Martin combined.
GOLDE - Black and Brown Bull Dog or Pug. Tough, rugged, sarcastic, take-no-guff, tell-it-like-it-is. Walks with a limp; she is Nell Carter, Bette Midler and Harvey Fierstein combined with the accent and attitude of her Jewish owners.
BOO - A reddish-colored Cocker Spaniel. A sock-a-holic, a bit frantic, protective, caring, warm. A chronic “mom;” she’s always taking care of everyone.
ROCKS - A Jack Russell pup, energetic, eager, yet huggable and loveable. He is a male Shirley Temple on puppy uppers.
Directors: Seth McClintock & David Shook
Music Director: Rachel Chase
Choreographer: Mindy Moritz
Stage Manager: Nehemiah Campbell
Patrick Dennis, age 8-10 Male Lead Treble/Boy Soprano
Patrick Dennis, age 19-29 Male Lead Tenor
Mame Dennis Female Lead Mezzo-Soprano
Agnes Gooch Female Supporting Soprano
Vera Charles Female Supporting Alto
M. Lindsay Woolsey Male Supporting Spoken
Ito Male Supporting Baritone
Dwight Babcock Male Supporting Tenor
Beauregard Jackson Pickett Burnside Male Supporting Baritone
Mother Burnside Female Supporting Soprano
Mrs. Upson Female Supporting Soprano
Mr. Upson Male Supporting Baritone
Gloria Upson Female Supporting Alto
Ralph Devine Male Featured Tenor
Uncle Jeff Male Featured Bass
Madame Branislowski Female Featured Alto
Cousin Fan Female Featured Soprano
Sally Cato Female Featured Mezzo-Soprano
Junior Babcock Male Featured Baritone
Pegeen Ryan Female Featured Alto
Peter Dennis Male Featured Spoken
Dance Couple Male Featured Singer/Dancer
Dance Couple Female Featured Singer/Dancer
Male Ensemble Singer/Dancer/Bass
Male Ensemble Singer/Dancer/Tenor
Female Ensemble Singer/Dancer/Alto
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO
1. Prepare a song to sing at your audition. Please bring your sheet music with you in the proper key, an accompanist will be provided. No acapella auditions will be accepted.
2. Prepare to learn a brief dance sequence with the choreographer. Once learned, you will perform it for the Directors.
3. As we are auditioning for (4) shows, the Directors and their teams will all be present throughout the audition process.
4. You must fill out one of our Audition Forms (click the HERE button below to access one of the forms). We request that you also provide a headshot along with your Audition Form. If you do not have a headshot, our team will take your picture upon arrival.
5. Auditions are held on a first come basis. Be prepared to wait.
6. Your parents or friends are not allowed in the Audition or Dance rooms, they are welcome to wait in the lobby until your audition is complete.
Callbacks are held by appointment only.
If you are considered for a principal or featured part in one of the shows, you will receive an invitation to the callbacks. You may also receive a copy of a song and/or reading script from the show to prepare prior to the callback.
- If you do not receive a call back it does NOT mean that you are not being considered as a cast member.
Casting decisions will begin to be made as soon as possible.
- You will be contacted by email regardless of the outcome.
- We will make every effort to have a final cast list as soon as possible.
- You might not be contacted for several weeks.
You can help us make this process as efficient as possible by:
- Being honest on your audition form regarding your interest in other shows.
- Being honest if you will accept an ensemble part.
- Being honest about your foreseen conflicts.
Leawood Stage Company is a team that works and plays together throughout a production. All cast members are required to help with strike and encouraged to help with set building, painting or with costumes. All cast members should provide his or her own shoes.
Thank you for auditioning with the Leawood Stage Company!
You may download your Audition form HERE
Thank you again for participating in our Audition process. If you have any questions, you may direct them to the following email address: AUDITIONS