Due to incliment weather, the event was moved to The Meadowlark Event Center in Springhill, KS. Attendence was huge and the talent amazing. The following groups performed.
1) Dramatic Truth Ballet Theatre – “Awaiting”
2) The Studio School of Dance – “To Build a Home”
3) Jessica Parra – “Tessellate” – CATALYST
4) Jasmine Chinese Dance Group – “Why Are Flowers So Red”
5) Dramatic Truth Trainee Company – “Saints Go Marchin’ In”
6) DC's Dance Instruction/Darrell J. Calhoun – “I Want You” – (Platinum Sponsor)
7) Kara McGraw – “River of Tears”
8) The Pulse Performing Arts Center – “Feel the Love” – (Platinum Sponsor)
9) Jami Robben – “Cherry Wine”
10) Hanna Parra – “To Be Strong”
11) Dramatic Truth School of the Arts – “Irish Dance Off”
1) Nritya School of Indian Dance and Music – “Sankara” – (Bronze Sponsor)
2) Evan J. Lovelace – “A Hot Cup of Kopi Luwak” – CATALYST
3) Störling's Artist Development Program – “Clean” – (Platinum Sponsor)
4) House of Dragons Crew – “Speakerbox”
5) Infinity Dance Company – “Carry Me”
6) The Blue Nile Dancers – “Lamma Bada Yata Thanna” – (Silver Sponsor)
7) VidaDance Studio – “Stronger” – (Platinum Sponsor)
8) Amanda Moder – “Kitri Variation”
9) Kansas City Young Audiences Main Street Dancers – “All You Need is Dance”
10) Silk Road Dance Academy – “Horizon of Mongolian Plateau”
11) Kimberly Holloway – “Born Again”
12) Heidi Loubser – “Surrender: A Life’s Work” – CATALYST
1) VidaDance – “Rollin’ Romance” – (Host Company & Platinum Sponsor)
2) Crescendo Conservatory – “In Noctem”
3) The Driscoll School of Irish Dance – “The Beggarman”
4) KC Contemporary Dance – “A Plea for Help”
5) Alexandra Wilson – “Good Day”
6) Middle Eastern Dance with Rahil – “Maksum Story” – (Silver Sponsor)
7) Jami Robben – “Intertwined” – CATALYST
8) Valley View Dance Studio – “People, Help the People” – (Gold Sponsor)
9) Crescendo in Motion – “The Voice” – (Gold Sponsor)
10) Olé Music & Dance of Spain – “Sevillanas & Bulerias”
11) Suzanne Ryan-Strati – “White Gloves & Memories of You”
12) Greenleaf Performing Arts Academy – “In the Embers” – (Platinum Sponsor)
1) Blink Verse Inc. – “A Trace” – (Bronze Sponsor)
2) Rafia Rasu – “Krishna Balaram Nartan” – (Silver Sponsor)
3) Tiffany Best – “Don’t Worry, Be Happy”
4) Priscilla & Dana’s School of Dance – “Come Together”
5) Lindsey Dinneen – “Fields of Gold”
6) The Culture House Conservatory of the Arts – “Tribute”
7) Chilanka School of Dance – “Mohiniyattam” – (Bronze Sponsor)
8) Marc Wayne – “Missed Train”
9) Talaessa Bice – “The Dawning”
10) Thy Dai – “Flower Dance”
11) Lucia Aerial Performing Arts – “The Start” (Gold Sponsor)
12) Meghan Spencer – “Weight of the World” – CATALYST
13) Samantha Davis – “Hope” – CATALYST
Kansas City joins other United States cities in its celebration of National Dance Week 2018! On Saturday, April 7,2018 from 11am-4pm at Ironwoods Park in Leawood, dancers of all ages, disciplines, and levels will join together to present a full day of free dance performances for the public. Dancers are celebrating the joy of dance together, from studios to university programs to professional companies to independent choreographers performing ballet, pointe, jazz, tap, modern, contemporary, lyrical, bachata, two-step, Irish Step, flamenco, swing, classical Indian, Egyptian, bellydance, and more. Emerging pre-professional choreographers participating in our Catalyst program have the opportunity to create brand-new pieces under the guidance of professional mentors and perform their pieces at this event as well. Sponsored by the Leawood Arts Council and Leawood Stage Company, this second annual event is an exciting opportunity to watch some of KC's best perform all at one time. For more information, including participating groups, please visit HERE, and check out our Facebook event page HERE.
VidaDance is about sharing life, and making dance accessible and enjoyable for everyone. Based out of Leawood, Kansas, we are a passionate group of professional dancers who enjoy expressing ourselves through movement and music, and who value challenge, creativity, positivity, and laughter. VidaDance is all about interesting, accessible, and excellent choreography, technique, and artistry. The pieces we produce are an eclectic blend of ballet, modern, jazz, lyrical, tap, Irish Step, as well as ballroom. We love making you smile, think, and feel. VidaDance is more than just a professional dance company - it's a movement to bring dance to a wider audience. VidaDance performs all over the greater Kansas City area as well as in St. Louis. In 2016, VidaDance won Best of Fringe for its venue, and has been invited to perform at multiple festivals and collaborative performances since its inception in 2015. Learn more about our upcoming performances HERE.
Welcome to VidaDance Studio, a community of people who love belonging, dreaming, dancing, having fun, and feeling inspired, encouraged and empowered. Offering classes for ages 2-100 in ballet, jazz, tap, modern, hip hop, and creative movement, we believe in our motto: Dream | Inspire | Empower | Sparkle. VidaDance Studio specializes in our adult dance classes, which provide chances to take lessons whether the student has had no prior experience, or has danced extensively in the past. The studio also has signature creative movement programs for our littlest aspiring dancers, including Boppin' Babies (ages 2-3 with their caretakers), Mini Movers (ages 3-4), Kinder Movers (ages 5-6), and Super Movers (ages 3-5 for specially-themed four-week mini sessions), and of course, we have wonderful classes for every age in between! Join us today. Click HERE
Event Day Information
1) SHOW LINEUP: I have attached the FINAL version of the show lineup to this email. At this point, no changes can be made to the lineup. Please make sure you share the lineup with your dancers. We will have copies of the lineup available and posted, and a version of it will also be used as the show program.
2) CALL TIME: Your company/studio/choreographer representative and dancers MUST check-in at the registration table one hour before your scheduled time slot HOUR. For instance, if you are scheduled during the 2-3pm time slot hour, you and your dancers need to check in at 1pm. Once checked-in, you are welcome (and encouraged) to watch the show from the audience.
3) BACKSTAGE CALL TIME: Your company/studio/choreographer representative and dancers MUST check-in five (5) pieces before your scheduled number backstage. For instance, if your piece is #9 in the 2-3pm time slot, you and all your dancers will need to be backstage and check-in with the stagehands as the #4 piece starts.
4) DANCERS & MATERIALS DROP-OFF: As you drive into the main entrance of Ironwoods Park, you will turn left at the fork to head towards the amphitheater. There will be volunteers helping to direct traffic. Dancers may be dropped off at the parking lot closest to the amphitheater (there will be no parking available in that lot). You may also use it as a loading/unloading zone for sponsorship materials.
5) STAGE: The stage in its entirety is 46ft wide by 32ft deep. A Marley-like flooring will cover approximately 40ft wide by 20ft deep. There will be stairs on either side of the stage that can be used for exiting the stage, but the primary entrance will be the ramp at the back of the stage. The floor will be spiked at center stage, as well as have spike marks at the front for center, quarters, and eighths. There will be no opportunity to mark or run through any of the pieces before the show begins, but the spike marks should help with spacing.
6) CHANGING AREAS: There are NO changing areas available. Dancers should arrive in costume with appropriate cover-ups, and will change shoes by the side of the stage before performing. For dancers in multiple pieces, you can use the restroom building to change.
7) WARM-UP AREA: There is no designated warm-up area, so dancers may warm up behind the stage or away from the audience in the grass or on a path.
8) WHAT TO BRING: Lawn chairs or blankets, water bottles, sunscreen, costumes (dancers should arrive in costume), as well as DANCE SHOES if your piece is set in barefeet in case the flooring gets hot from the sun.
9) FOODS & DRINKS: There will be snacks and drinks for sale as a fundraiser for the Leawood Stage Company (one of our title sponsors). You are also welcome to bring your own drinks and snacks.
10) SPONSORS: You will need to set up your sponsorship tables on the grass near the stage. If you are sponsoring the event, please make sure you bring the following items with you:
a. Silver Sponsors: Bring flyers/postcards/business cards along with a weight to hold them down in case of a windy day. These materials can be placed on one of NDWKC's main tables.
b. Gold/Platinum Sponsors: Bring flyers/postcards/business cards along with a weight to hold them down in case of a windy day, along with your own table (and/or tent, if you'd like) and chairs. You should plan to set up the table as early as 10am and stay the entire day, if possible.
11) SATURDAY CONTACT: As an EMERGENCY-ONLY contact number, you can reach me at 913-725-8432 via TEXT.
12) INCLEMENT WEATHER LOCATION: In case of inclement or super-cold weather, the SHOW WILL GO ON at The Meadowlark Event Center in Spring Hill, Kansas with the exact same lineup and time frame. We will announce any change of location by Friday, April 6th at 5:00pm if we do decide to host the event indoors at the event center instead of outside as planned. We will notify you via email, and it will be posted on the Facebook event page, and NDWKC website and NDWKC Facebook page.
13) SAVE THE DATE: We already have our date booked for our third-annual NDWKC event! It will be Saturday, April 6th, 2019 at Ironwoods Park, so go ahead and reserve it in your calendar!
This event has been posted on many KC community calendars online, as well as advertised at local businesses. We are expecting a wonderful turnout, and we'd appreciate you inviting all of your friends and family to attend as well. Once your group is finished performing, you're free to leave, but we do encourage you and your dancers to stick around for a while and support the other groups performing.
Thank you again for participating, and I'm really looking forward to seeing all of you at the event next Saturday!